In the context of the USA; what ideas would make a Libertarian go Democrat, and what ideas would make them go Republican? As Libertarianism fits more or less in this strange middle ground of ideas between the two; thus, I'm just curious what might drive them to lean a certain way.
As Libertarianism fits more or less in this strange middle ground of ideas between the two;
I find this to be a false statement. Libertarianism is more of a mix of ideas from the two than a middle ground. Middle ground suggests moderation, and there are very few moderate libertarians (perhaps Bill Weld, although he usually identifies as a Republican). In many areas, libertarians are more extreme than either Democrats or Republicans. Blue Dog Democrats are moderates, and they are often nearly the opposite of libertarian. They are right wing where libertarians are left wing and vice versa.
Some ideas that are commonly (but not universally) held by Democrats that also characterize libertarians:
- Marijuana should be legal for medicinal and recreational use.
- Consensual sexual acts should be legal.
- The US has no right to impose its moral standards by legal or military force.
Some ideas that are commonly (but not universally) held by Republicans that also characterize libertarians:
- Taxes and spending are bad, as they shift economic power from individuals to the government.
- Regulations are bad, as businesses are more responsible than government.
- Individuals should have unfettered access to weapons, including guns.
Libertarians generally choose Republicans over Democrats, about two thirds of the time. Exactly why is going to be up to each individual, but some common arguments include
- Libertarians often feel that all drugs should be legal, not just marijuana.
- While some Republicans may disapprove of certain sexual activity, there is very little that they do or could do to stop it given current court precedent.
- Democrats often try to impose their moral standards by force. E.g. Egypt, Libya, Syria, North Korea, and Russia.
On many of these issues, Democrats are generally more moderate than libertarians. Of course, the same could be said about the Republican issues.