I heard this once before, but I forgot the word for it. I've already tried to searched it on google but I could not find anything useful.

"Tribalism" is a new word to express the political bubbles people are living in. And you can easily identify someone's "bubble" by their vocabulary. For example, left-wing people might say things like "oppression, capitalist pigs, racist, homophobic" while right-wing people usually don't.

I would like to know the name of this act. The act of identifying someone's group by their vocabulary.

  • The vocabulary / language itself is called a sociolect, although that doesn't necessarily refer to one's political point of view.
    – oerkelens
    May 9 '17 at 15:11
  • There may be an actuary word for classification, but I kinda doubt they use a new word for each way of making a classification. Email data miners certainly use techniques like this to sort people, and may have a special word for political sorting.
    – user9389
    May 9 '17 at 17:14

One notable term is Shibboleth

A shibboleth is either a saying that people repeatedly cite that is wrong (or thought to be wrong by some), or a word or custom whose variations in pronunciation or style distinguish members of ingroups from those of outgroups, with an implicit value judgment based on familiarity with the shibboleth.

  • Thank you so much, that was the word I've been looking for. Like I said, I heard it before, but I had forget it and did not remember where I first saw it. Shibboleth!
    – Hanilucas
    May 10 '17 at 10:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .