What is the name of the political system ruled by nonelected council? Similar to corporate rule. I call it councilism, but looking for better name.

  • 5
    This is going to depend somewhat on the selection method for the council. For example a group of priests might be called a theocracy, or military leaders a junta. Not that those nouns are universally accepted to have a single meaning of course.
    – origimbo
    Aug 2 '17 at 1:52
  • People who already have de facto influence are selected. For example, the rich business people. The variation of Trilateral Commission with direct political power and council based decision making. Is a better name than oligarchy possible?
    – columbus
    Aug 2 '17 at 14:07
  • 1
    "Illuminati"? :)
    – user4012
    Aug 2 '17 at 14:23
  • Plutocracy, i.e. rule by the rich?
    – ohwilleke
    Aug 9 '17 at 1:18

In the generalities, a political system ruled by a few persons is an oligarchy:

Oligarchy (from Greek ὀλιγαρχία (oligarkhía); from ὀλίγος (olígos), meaning 'few', and ἄρχω (arkho), meaning 'to rule or to command') is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people.

After that, there are a number of specific categorization that can be applied to the group, depending on extenuating circumstances.

  • 1
    I took the liberty of linking the Greek words to the lexical entries. Hope that's ok. Excellent answer!
    – DukeZhou
    Aug 2 '17 at 23:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .