Why is it that across the world, some people consider authoritarian regimes to be beneficial. Why is this, and why is there a rise on support for authoritarian regimes. Source; http://www.journalofdemocracy.org/sites/default/files/Foa%26Mounk-27-3.pdf
This is a very interesting question and would benefit from a source being added with respect the the "rise of support for authoritarian regimes". For the purposes of this answer the assumption will be such a trend is not forced and is based on the potential perceived benefits of authoritarianism.
In order to narrow this down a little so that the question is not too broad this answer will consider democracy as the primary alternative to an authoritarian government.
Some of the possible potential benefits of such as regime/ the potential drawbacks of democracy
- More democratic governments tends to be slow at getting things done due to the existence of checks, balances and processes there may well be a perception that authoritarian governments can get things done faster
- Democracy only really works well when the electorate are engaged properly with the process, well informed and there is a strong press to hold politicians to account. In many places these conditions don't exist so the benefits of democracy may not be fully realised.
- Authoritarianism can offer strong and clear leadership for the country a consistent plan and a vision. Other forms of government may be offer inconsistent or unclear views depending on who is in power .
- A leader who has long term prospects can provide stability that regular government/ministerial changes can not
- Democratic systems can have issues with the representation of those sections of the population that aren't the target demographic of the main political parties (or the ones that are in power) an authoritarian leadership may take a more balanced approach to maintain popular support (a number of democratic systems can allow governments to rule with less votes than their opposition)
Note: This isn't about saying that authoritarianism is a better or worse form of government it is simply about considering the possible arguments in favour of such a system