Ancient Athens, what is by many considered the first democracy, resorted extensively to sortition to assign its political offices. In modern times however the only place where this method of selection remains in widespread use is for selecting trial juries. What would be the main advantages and disadvantages of using sortition in politics? Specially in the case of bodies large enough so that they can be considered statistically representative of the population at large.
I will give a list of what can be considered advantages and disadvantages. If any point is not clear, please ask for clarification in the comments and I'll amend the answer.
- Effective representation of the interests of the people
- Fairness & Equality
- Less corruptible than elections
- Fair representation
- Power to ordinary people
- Voter fatigue
- Loyalty is to conscience not to political party
- Pure sortition does not discriminate
- Sortition can put in power people with minority views
- Voting confers legitimacy
- Some forms of sortition entail compulsion
- Enthusiasm of the representatives