In the Soviet Union it was common for each election to have a 99% turnout, however those statistics were obviously falsified and nobody took them seriously. Likewise modern despotic regimes frequently report turnouts over 95%. But what was the highest recorded turnout in a country that was an actual democracy?
- Democratic means the country in question was widely accepted to be a democracy at the time of the vote
- The election itself should likewise be democratic according to independent international observers
- Election means any casting of votes where a specific elected position was to be filled. This excludes primaries or other votes where the election does not guarantee that a particular person/party would fill a particular position within the government.
- Major means at least 100 thousand voters were eligible to participate in the election as a whole
- Turnout means the percentage of voters participating in the election as a whole, not the turnout in any particular district