Suppose I'm running for some federal-level position in the United States. Along the way, I'm raising campaign funding for all of the usual reasons. Then the election comes, but I lose. I still have money left over, though. What can I legally do with it? Assume the following:
- This could have been either a primary or the November general election. Or maybe even a special election. I leave that unspecified.
- But if it's a primary, I don't run in that year's general as an independent or with a third party. I concede gracefully.
- I'm considering trying again later (possibly for a different office), but have no immediate plans to do so.
- All of my campaign expenses (and records thereof) up to that point were legitimate and properly reported.
- For this question I leave the nature of my funding (donation, loan, self-financed, etc.) unspecified, except to say that it's all legal and properly reported.