Since the British referendum to leave the EU I often hear that Brexit threatens the Good Friday Agreement. As far as I know the Good Friday Agreement pretty much ended violent conflict in Northern Ireland after 1998. The most important points of the agreement that I could find are:
- The Irish Government refrains from reunification of the island
- Reunification is still possible if a majority of Northern Irish agree
- Paramilitary groups agree to disarmament
- Northern Irish can have dual Citizenship
- Cooperation between British and Irish governments
- Retraction of the Government of Ireland Act
These points are mainly from here.
As far as I can tell none of these points depend on the status of the United Kingdom as a member of the European Union. Why then does Brexit threaten the Good Friday Agreement?