Background (unrelated to question, but it is what lead me to ask the question)

My SO and I were talking about an alternative solution to how Senators are elected other than through direct popular vote. She brought up the idea of a mini-electoral college per state, as opposed to appointment by state legislature (which is what it was before the 17th amendment). Moreover, she posited that the drafting body for each State's Electoral College could be impaneled like a jury. I was intrigued by this proposal and wanted to send something to my reps about this idea. However, I am unsure about how exactly to do this at the federal level. This lead me to ask...


If I have an idea for Federal bill, how exactly do I send this idea to my Federal Representatives?

  • medium.com/k-street/… – PoloHoleSet Sep 17 '19 at 15:37
  • I would edit myself, but I'm not sure whether you prefer "this leads me to ask" or "this led me to ask." – phoog Sep 17 '19 at 15:58

Traditionally, you would write a letter to their office or call them by phone. You can still do that, of course, but you can now also send e-mail. Some even have contact forms that allow you to send a message on the web page.

You can find your representative's office at


The analogous page for senators is


  • 1
    The most effective way is to funnel huge wads of cash in the direction of said elected representative. – PoloHoleSet Sep 17 '19 at 15:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .