I have stumbled across a protest during vacation and I wanted to find out more. My surprise was to find out the some US organizations such as US embassies or Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) are regularly issuing such warnings:


Example protests warnings by US Embassy in Bern or demonstration alert in Rome.

Clearly such warnings may be useful for those working in embassies, but also for tourists who are not connected to local news.

I am wondering if any European country has a similar organization that issues such warnings.

Question: Is there any European organization that issue protest / demonstration warnings similar to what US embassies or OSAC are issuing?

  • 3
    This is comparing apples to oranges. Until the EU is further integrated, each European country is doing its own diplomacy, with the exception of a handful of exclusive EU prerogatives such as trade negotiations. Nov 9, 2019 at 19:52
  • Just to add: the EU budget is around €160 Billion. The US Federal Budget is more like $4 Trillion. Careful what you wish for... Nov 9, 2019 at 19:56
  • E.g.Germany issues travel warnings, but that is completely different than short term alerts about demonstrations. Regarding a long term climate of possibly dangerous demonstrations (with the danger perhaps rather coming from the police), we might expect to find Hong Kong or Spain on that list currently - but neither is. -- After all, demonstrations are not dangers per se; though opinions may differ for embassies of a country that has outraged a group of people by abandoned them in a war zone. Nov 10, 2019 at 14:16

1 Answer 1


If you mean EU institution, probably no. The EU doesn't issue travel advisories either, that's left to the member states:

The foreign ministries of the EU Member States are responsible for providing travel advice to their citizens. In emergencies, this advice may change frequently. The European Commission is not responsible for the accuracy of the travel advice given on the linked national websites.

  • 1
    I mean any European (not necessary EU and can be at country level). If let's say UK would have a similar service (warn citizens about protests near UK embassies), it would be a good example.
    – Alexei
    Nov 10, 2019 at 8:37
  • 1
    @Alexei: I've looked at UK and France and they don't seem to give these "demonstration warnings". It could be that some European country does, but i'm skeptical. Nov 10, 2019 at 8:45
  • I am also skeptical, but it seems like a nice service that US provides to its citizens.
    – Alexei
    Nov 10, 2019 at 8:58
  • I have no idea whether or not UK Embassies issue such warnings, but I do think we get less protested at than the US does. Nov 10, 2019 at 19:16
  • The UK does have travel advice like gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong covering the current Hong Kong protests
    – MSalters
    Nov 11, 2019 at 23:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .