Dominique Strauss-Kahn was a very serious candidate for the French presidency.
His political career was stopped in its tracks when he was arrested and charged with the sexual assault and attempted rape of Nafissatou Diallo.
Let's imagine a different course of history:
- he leaves the US and lands in France
- the US justice reviews the case and requests him to be back (or opens an extradition case)
- in the meantime he wins the elections
What would then be his status?
- In the general case, he would have been arrested the moment he sets foot on US ground.
- On the other hand, it may be that his diplomatic immunity (from being the French president) trumps the arrest request.
- Finally he may be persona non grata in the US
What would have been the probable outcome?