This is a borderline question. I decided to ask in the politics forum because media outlets are nowadays an integral part of the political system.

In this video some people are shown holding some crystals and the journalist says that they might be diamonds. But it does not take an expert eye to understand that there is absolutely no chance. They cannot be diamonds. In the video they show people celebrating, but the locals know the mining business, they had to do with it for all their life. It's hardly credible to see so many people deceived by those stones, probably those interviewed were just actors pretending to celebrate.

Why would network with the reputation of the BBC release such a video? What do they expect to get from the impression it creates on the public?

  • 4
    There are a lot of unfounded assertions and leaps of logic in this question. – Alpha Draconis Jun 16 at 13:17
  • 5
    Without knowing your credentials, it's hard to take your word, over the BBC's (presumably well sourced) journalism, in the first place. If you're going to stick to this line of questioning, I'd add some sources/evidence to support your claim that the BBC's reporting doesn't represent the facts. Even if you did, however, your question seems to assume they're reporting in bad faith, rather than simply being mistaken - this also requires evidence to support it. The circumstances of that evidence will greatly inform the answer. – William Walker III Jun 16 at 13:19
  • There is historical precedent en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti-tree_hoax – DJohnM Jun 16 at 17:23
  • News covers people. Sometimes people are mistaken. – dandavis Jun 21 at 21:15

the locals know the mining business [...] It's hardly credible to see so many people deceived by those stones

You seem to assume that everyone in South Africa is a miner. But South Africa has a population of 60 million, with just 450k employed in the mining industry (and of those, only 14k in diamond mining). One person in the video explicitly notes that they have never seen a real diamond in their lives; it's likely that that is the case for most people present.

Why would the BB[C] risk damaging their reputation by releasing a fake mining discovery video?

You assume that the video is faked with hired actors. But there the question is indeed: Why would they? It's an awful lot of trouble to go through for no benefit at all.

A much more likely explanation is that people did indeed find stones, and did indeed mistake them for diamonds, which resulted in more and more people looking in the hope - no matter how unlikely - that it might turn out to be real diamonds.

The video is very clear on what is being shown though. It doesn't try to leave the impression that real diamonds have been found.

Why would network with the reputation of the BBC release such a video?

It's a bit of a fluff piece, but reporting on what is going on - in this case 'some people found what they believe to be diamonds, which attracted a large crowd of people looking for more' - is in line the mission statement of a news station.

  • You assume that those people really believe that those stones could be diamonds. But if someone really did they would keep them well hidden, they would not show them on camera with their face with the risk of encouraging criminals or corrupt policemen to chase them. – FluidCode Jun 16 at 13:35
  • @FluidCode if that assumption stood on its own, I might believe it, but combined with all of the other assumptions neccasery ot come to that conclusion the probablity of that is low. For instance, they could personally know the policemen. – Ekadh Singh Jun 16 at 14:00
  • @EkadhSingh Of course, someone believes he has a stone worth a lot of money collected without mining permits and at the same time he thinks that the protection of his friends in the police is so strong that he can go around showing everybody what he got. Well, you say my assumptions do not stand up, but yours are no better. – FluidCode Jun 16 at 14:07
  • 4
    "But if someone really did [find diamonds] they would keep them well hidden" - would they? The California Gold Rush started when Samuel Brannan sprinted through the streets of San Francisco yelling "Gold! Gold from the American river!" - and he found out because workers from the gold mines had bought mining equipment from him using the gold they'd mined. – F1Krazy Jun 16 at 15:17
  • 2
    @FluidCode - If a mere 2% of the people who thought that they had found diamonds were willing to show their faces on the camera, a news station would interview that 2%, not the other 98%. It seems rather straightforward to me. – Obie 2.0 Jun 18 at 5:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .