As a Canadian, here I go:
In Canada, we have 3 political parties that are considered "major", and an additional 3 that are considered "minor" (there's 1 party (the Bloc Quebecois) that's in the middle of those 2, but that's mostly irrelevant to the discussion; I've labelled them as "minor" for various reasons that aren't important). So, when we vote, we vote between 6 parties, rather than 2.
Our voting system works more or less the same way as America's, in broad strokes: one person, one vote, whoever gets the most votes wins the regional vote, and whoever wins the most regional votes wins the government (in the US this is done by the "electoral college", in Canada it's a somewhat less arcane system but you can still think of it as "regional" in a similar way as the electoral college, where the popular vote does not determine the winner of the election directly). In all other respects, it's the same as America, except instead of having 2 names on the ballot we have 6 (or sometimes more in the case of third-party candidates).
The rule in Canada is that, in order to form a government (that is, pick the prime minister and cabinet members), the party forming the government has to win 50% or more "election points" (this gets complicated, I'm throwing a lot under the mat here when I say "election points"; this is where our system is more complex than your Electoral College, but you can more or less consider it in a similar way). There are various reasons why we don't do simple majority, and that gets into the complicated part mentioned above that I'm brushing under the rug, so just trust me on this one. However, since we have 6 parties and not 2, it's not guaranteed that someone will win 50% of the points.
The way we deal with the situation in which no party gets 50% of the points is we allow a "minority government". A "minority government" is when one party says to another, something like this: "Hey, you have 30% of the points, I have 25% of the points, together we have 55% of the points. How about we work together and make a government between the 2 of us?". This is the type of government that Trudeau currently has, where the Liberal party is partnered with the New Democratic Party (NDP), and together they have over 50% of the points so they get to be the leader, together. Since the Liberals have more points than the NDP, that means Trudeau (the Liberal leader) gets to be to Prime Minister and not Singh (the NDP leader).
The way minority governments tend to work is that, because the second party's consent is needed (they don't give their points once, but they need to continue giving their points forever in perpetuity until the next election), the second party has a large stake in the government. At any point, the second party can say "nah, I don't like you anymore" and they can collapse the government which would cause an election. This is actually a fairly common occurrence, which is why Canada tends to have more elections (at all levels of government) than the US and minority governments almost never make it the entire 5 year term (which is our legal statute for a Federal government).
That said, the Liberal party is (billed as; various opinions of how the party is seen by individuals may vary) Canada's moderate-left party and the NDP is Canada's far-left party. Canada is, similar to the US, increasingly politically divided in recent years, and therefore the NDP may see that continuing to prop up the Liberal minority government in perpetuity to be a better alternative to having an election where the Conservatives (our moderate-right party) might win (the other 2 right-wing parties are in the "minor party" category and so their possibility of winning an election outright is vanishingly small; the Conservatives are the main threat to the Liberal/NDP alliance). As a result, this minority government seems (as to your article from Politico) to be one of the more stable minority governments and an election soon is not particularly likely.