Relating to the apparent Israeli proposal to encourage Gaza civilians to relocate to a "safe area" in al-Mawasi, which the UN isn't exactly excited about (according to BBC), has the US government made comments about that proposal? The BBC writes (on Nov 25):
For several weeks, Israeli officials have been talking about a solution - a so-called "safe area" at al-Mawasi, a thin strip of mainly agricultural land along the Mediterranean coast, close to the Egyptian border.
Last week, leaflets dropped over the nearby city of Khan Yunis warned of impending airstrikes and told people to move west, towards the sea.
In a post on social media on Thursday, Avichay Adraee, the IDF's spokesman for the Arabic media, told Gazans al-Mawasi would provide "the appropriate conditions to protect your loved ones."
Israeli officials say it will be up to aid agencies to make sure help reaches al-Mawasi from the Rafah crossing, more than 10km away. They haven't said how this will work in practice. [...]
But on 16 November, a statement by the heads of 18 UN agencies and NGOs involved in providing assistance to Palestinian civilians appeared to reject Israel's plans outright.
Without mentioning al-Mawasi by name, the 16 November statement warned that Israel's unilateral proposals could put many lives at risk.
FWTW, that BBC piece also claims:
US officials are said to be trying to negotiate with Israel over additional safe areas, possibly including one at Dahaniya, at the far southern tip of the Gaza Strip.
But I can't find any other sources mentioning the latter (Dahaniya) in this regard.
As there has been some commentary on whether the BBC is neutral enough on this, given that COGAT only referred to Al-Mawasi as a "humanitarian zone" (on Oct 18), here's the WSJ calling it a "proposed displacement camp" on Nov 21, citing the IDF as source.
FT more laconically noted on Nov 19:
Israel has indicated that it wants the people in southern Gaza to move again, towards a tiny square of territory called al-Muwasi along the coast between Rafah and Khan Younis.
The Times of Israel wrote on Nov 21:
The Israel Defense Forces has no plans to allow Palestinians to move back to northern Gaza when the military expands its ground offensive into the southern part of the Strip.
The Times of Israel has learned that the IDF instead plans to direct the civilian population to areas away from the expected ground offensive in southern Gaza, in order to reduce civilian casualties.
The population may move around in southern Gaza, but not northward, according to information seen by The Times of Israel.
So far, the IDF has declared the small al-Mawasi area on the southern coast of Gaza as a “safe zone” amid the ground offensive in the north and airstrikes across the Strip.
So, yeah, the latter has the nuance that al-Mawasi is a declared "safe zone", not a proposed camp, but insofar the only area declared to be "safe" for civilians in view of the southern offensive.
The second challenge is the presence of so many displaced Palestinians in southern Gaza. Israel, in conjunction with Egypt, the US, the UN has been trying to get as many displaced Palestinians to move to an area in southwest Gaza called Al-Mawasi, near where the Gush Katif settlements used to stand. Defense officials think that there is enough room there for all of the displaced Palestinians, but there is a need to get them there. That will take time, a commodity of which Israel is running out.
Although the quotes given by the BBC show UN disagreement on that. And I've not seen an explicit US endorsement, although maybe one exists?