On Wednesday, December 6, 2023, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres invoked Article 99 of the U.N Charter on the situation in Gaza.
Article 99 allows the secretary-general to “bring to the attention of the Security Council any matter which in his opinion may threaten the maintenance of international peace and security”
The invocation seems to be in line with the unfolding events in the middle east region.
- The humanitarian situation in Gaza is dire and worsening by the minute
- The West Bank is agitating with violence
- Iran-backed militants in Iraq are repeatedly attacking U.S. forces
- Iran-backed Houthi in Yemen are attacking Israel-linked ships in the Red Sea and firing ballistic missiles at Israel
- Hezbollah is attacking Israeli military sites and soldiers in the north of Israel daily.
Apparently, the region is slowly drifting into a regional war which can rapidly escalate to World War 3! The U.S. has repeatedly expressed that it doesn't wish to see the conflict in Gaza expand to a regional conflict, yet it vetoes the UN attempt at a ceasefire resolution.
The longer the war in Gaza endures, the more there is a chance a regional war could break out, so why did the U.S. neutralize the UN ceasefire resolution? Does that not contradict its publicly articulated intentions?